POV (point of view) statement
Articulate who your customers are, their needs, and important insights about them. Use this statement to gain a deeper understanding of the problem space and start developing solutions.
POV statement Mural
Team members and stakeholders from the organization who can contribute to brainstorming
After you’ve completed initial research and have created artifacts, and before you begin brainstorming ideas prioritizing the ideas you want to explore; plan to spend about 30 minutes
How to do this method
Gather your team, using the template provided, and follow these steps:
1. Gather data
Using the existing research, collect ideas for each of these categories:
- User: Who you’re designing solutions for
- Need: What are they trying to accomplish with a service
- Insight: Why your users need to meet this need
2. Fill in the template
Decide on one idea for each category — user, need, and insight — and combine them into a statement using the fill-in-the-blank style template.
3. Refine the statement
Try writing down the whole statement outside the template to revisit. Does it:
- Have a narrow enough focus to help guide solution ideas?
- Avoid prescribing a solution?
- Allow for multiple solution possibilities?
- Look concise and sound good?